· Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is searching for engineers interested in machinery dynamics and vibration. The Mechanical Engineer (EIT) evaluates new compressor and pumping systems to resolve reliability risks such as pulsations, torsional or lateral vibration, mechanical resonance, transients, fatigue and surge. This person would support our growing Vibration, Dynamics and Noise team, and would be seated in our Calgary, AB or in Houston, TX offices.
The Mechanical Engineer (EIT) will be responsible for API 618 and 674 pulsation studies, rotor dynamics, dynamic surge, and other related design studies. This is an opportunity to work in a global organization with an industry-leading position based on its niche range of services, and to be involved in projects both locally, and around the world. Currently, Wood offers several services within the vibration, dynamics and noise team, and there will be advancement opportunities as the business grows. A dynamic individual, who is entrepreneurial and interested in consultative work, will thrive in this environment.
· Perform design studies (analysis) for new or modified machinery packages and the associated piping system.
· The work is primarily for facility owners, OEMs, Engineering Consultants, and Equipment Packagers.
· The initial focus is on reciprocating compressors and pumping systems. This involves pulsation analysis, mechanical analysis (including FEA and forced response studies), skid design, and piping layout.
· The job can expand to include torsional vibration analysis, platform dynamics, foundation design, skid design, flow induced studies, centrifugal compressors surge control, and many other design requirements. In addition, we strongly encourage design engineers to participate in field analysis and troubleshooting. The combined field and design capability enable VDN’s staff to offer world class support.
· The work will involve commercial software such as ANSYS, CAESAR II, AutoCad, Solidworks, and others. The computer modelling will also involve VDN’s proprietary modelling software.
· Typically jobs involve supporting customers during the initial project planning stages by offering application assistance. As the job moves forward, our staff conduced detailed design analysis and work closely with customers to find the optimal solutions and recommendations.
· Our staff provides application advice in person or by phone. As the person gains experience, they will assist with project management and training presentations.
· Prepare timely and accurate technical reports to professional standards.
· Implement and adhere to Wood’s EH&S policy at all work sites.
· Strong verbal communication skills, with the ability to speak directly to the issue and to adapt to work environment and customers’ communication style.
· Ability to establish strong working relationships with customers. Strong customer focus, project management and the desire to go the extra mile.
· Skills / Qualifications
· Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
· Candidates who are newly graduated (or up to 3 years’ experience) preferred;
· Ideal work experience involves design or analysis of compressor packages for Oil & Gas industry.
· Proficient in standard windows software and ideally have some capability in AutoCad, CAESAR, SolidWorks, and ANSYS FEA.
· Strong interest in vibration, machinery performance, reliability, acoustic theory, and machinery system design.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and analytical skills; working knowledge of computer systems.
· Position may require limited travel to visit customers (continental United States, or Canada).
· Current passport with eligibility to travel to our Calgary, Canada office for training as necessary for up to 6 week intervals
· Must be US or Canadian Citizen, or authorized to work lawfully in Canada or the US, without sponsorship from Wood
To apply for this job please visit woodplc-canadaexternal.icims.com.